Court Issues Injunction On Basketball Election

The Sixth Judicial Circuit Court has issued a Writ of Injunction to the Liberia Basketball Association’s General Assembly and Election which was scheduled for today and tomorrow, August 7 and 8 respectively in Monrovia.

In a nine-page document, the court in Montserrado wrote Sheriff Fofee Kamara adding, “YOU ARE HEREBY COMMANDED to serve or cause to be served this Writ of Injunction and Temporary Restraining Order on the within named respondent: The Liberia Basketball Association (LBA) through its President, Mr. Rufus Anderson and all of its officers to be identified; Ministry of Youth and Sports by and through its Minister and all Deputy Ministers. The appointed elections commission, appointed by the Ministry of Sports, represented by its chairman, Mr. Yanquoi Borsay and all members of the Election Commission and Mr. Rufus Anderson, president Respondents are hereby ordered restrained, enjoined, refrained, and prohibited from conducting LBA Congress and Election until otherwise ordered by this court. You are hereby further commanded to file your official returns on or before the 15th day of August A.D. 2015 as to the manner of service.

It means that the so-called ‘Aggrieved Stakeholders’ have got their desired objective achieved. The president of the group, Edwin Fahnbulleh had overly said long before the scheduled date, “We’re going to do all in our power to stop the election because the leadership of Mr. Anderson in the past four years has corrupted basketball and they can’t be entrusted with our funds.” The vocal Flames President, Calvin Diggs, has been chanting the slogan, “The Ministry has become a factor into this process and we don’t trust their inter-mediatory role any longer.”

At the same time, following the Writ of Injunction the ‘Aggrieved Stakeholders’ have declined to make any comment as Calvin Diggs said, “The court will supersede and we only need to go to court, nothing more or less.”

Meanwhile, the leadership of the LFA could not be reached as Mr. Rufus Anderson’s phone rang endlessly without any response. When our reporter visited the headquarters of the LBA; the entire office of the local basketball was closed.