“I Feel Threatened”…George Weah Alleges

By: Timothy T. Seaklon

The political leader of the opposition Congress for Democratic Change (CDC) and a candidate in the senatorial race for Montserrado County, Ambassador George Manneh Weah says he feels threatened.

Ambassador Weah told the INQUIRER yesterday that on a daily basis he is being threatened by state security officers led by Deputy Police Director for Operations, Col. Abraham Kromah who recently invaded his privacy by taking a group of armed police men to his private resort at 2 a.m. last Monday night.

Ambassador Weah said he considers the police action as an attempt on his life because there was no search warrant issued him prior to the police invasion of his private resort.

The CDC leader said he had informed his lawyers who are now taking up the issue with the Ministry of Justice, the United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) and other international partners.

Mr. Weah also disclosed that the same day the police invaded his private resort known as the Jamaica Village Resort, there was also the presence of uniform police officers at Ninth Street residence in Sinkor.

Ambassador Weah who was surrounded by loyalists during the interview said, “I told the President that if Robert Sirleaf is being protected by state security, then every candidate in this senatorial race should also be protected by the same state security.”

Ambassador Weah further disclosed that he had text Col. Abraham Kromah that the act to invade his resort without a warrant to do so is a criminal act, adding, “I did text the Director of Police Col. Chris Massaquoi on the same issue.”

The Montserrado Senatorial candidate said, “If any contra-band materials, drugs, or any weapons of any kind are found on my premises I will have the police to blame because they should not have invaded by resort in the morning hours when everyone was asleep.”

He also told this paper that he had informed some UNMIL officers about such a development because they have the expertise to distinguish the different kinds of weapons.

“If anything goes wrong, I will blame the police because of the way they are conducting themselves. Everybody knows I am a very peaceful person as you can see me walking around in my community at ease,” Ambassador Weah who started responding to questions at the Total Gas station at the Rehab Junction said.

Ambassador Weah said he is using that property as resort when he holds meeting with friends especially church meetings and expressed surprise that Col Kromah could move men to the area searching for what he does not know.

Tuesday afternoon, CDC Deputy Chairman for Operations, Mulbah Morlu told a news conference that police officers under the command of Col. Abraham Kromah had made an attempt on the life of Ambassador Weah at his farm located in the Thinkers Village community outside Monrovia.

Mr. Morlu said two days ago, a group of well-armed police officers under the command of Deputy Police Director for Operations, Col. A. B. Kromah encroached on the farm of Ambassador Weah and chased away employees thereby leading to many of them sustaining injuries.

Mr. Morlu further revealed that the police seized the property early Tuesday and at about 2 a.m. Col. A. B. Kromah again moved in with a group of armed blue uniform men and began harassing employees on the farm where the CDC political leader is engaged in fish and crop farming.

He said the CDC will not accept any intrusion on the property of Ambassador without any warrant, saying, “The police created panic as they searched everywhere to arrest Ambassador Weah or have him killed.”

As a follow-up, the INQUIRER early yesterday morning visited the place Mr. Morlu considered as a farm and found out that it is indeed a resort and that there were no farming activities ongoing there.

The caretaker of the resort who only identified himself as Nigga three Dollars said Col. Kromah first visited the area on Saturday and entered the fence but did not talk to anybody.

He said the Police Deputy Director for Operations returned to the area Sunday morning at about 2 a.m. with a group of armed police officers and broke their door and began to chase people everywhere. “We ran for our lives and went as far as getting into the swamp where some of our men sustained injuries,” he added.

Residents talked to in the vicinity said they neither saw any police movement in the area nor heard any sound of gun fire because they went to bed early that day.

He also alleged that police officers broke some of the chairs that the ambassador and his guests use when they usually visit the resort.