A married woman believed to be in her early thirties last Monday morning swallowed a whole cup of hair relaxer after observing a text message in her husband’s (name withheld) phone indicating that he was having extra-marital affairs. The wife (name withheld), a student of the University of Liberia nearly took away her own live when she locked herself up in her children’s room and took along a big cup of UB Hair Relaxer which she swallowed.
She later began crying in the room after feeling the effect of the chemical contained in the hair relaxer something which alerted neighbors to burst open the door in the Gardnersville community only to discover her lying unconscious.
According to some neighbors who the victim confided in on Sunday night, she narrated that her husband was having affairs with another lady who in recent time has been sending lovely text messages on his phone at night.
The neighbors said the wife indicated that this lady was an embarrassment to her marriage and as such she was going to do something about same in the not too distant future.
However, on Monday morning she was discovered in her room with her mouth and tongue swollen as a result of the chemical contained in the hair relaxer she swallowed. Neighbors and friends in the community rushed on the scene and tried to administer first aid to the victim, to the astonishment of onlookers.
The victim was given palm oil to drink and rushed to the Mawah Clinic in Vai Town by neighbors but was later transferred to the John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital where she is undergoing medical treatment.
According to sources, she is said to be in a critical but stable condition and medical experts said if she survives, she will not be able to eat any solid food. She has been married for a little over a year.