By Pinket A. Scott (Intern)
An 18-seater bus was razed by fire on Monday at the SKD Boulevard in Congo Town. According to our reporter, the incident occurred Monday night when the commercial bus which was traveling from the Waterside General Market to the commercial district of Red-light abruptly stopped on the Boulevard when the driver heard a strange sound from the engine.
The driver of the bus, Nelson T. Freeman, narrated that he could not use the Somalia Drive route due to the traffic jam along the Gardnersville Road.
Mr. Freeman who said that he decided to use the Congo Town route to avoid traffic on the Somalia drive, said it was upon stopping that he noticed that the problem came from the battery of the vehicle.
He said upon disembarking from the vehicle to ascertain what had happened, he saw the battery on fire. He said it was then that the passengers disembarked from the vehicle to avoid any casualties. However, one person sustained injuries.
Freeman, in a sorrowful mood following the incident, expressed frustration over the burning of his bus, which he said was his only source of income, saying, “My greatest worry is how to get a new job, because the bus was my only source of income which I depended on to support my family.”
An occupant of the vehicle, Musu Baleryon described the accident as a big shock. She said the incident occurred while they (passengers) were all mutually conversing in the bus and did not expect what went on.
Musu said while trying to escape from the blazing fire from the bus, the door refused to open. She said they were rescued by some young men who forcibly burst the glasses of the bus thus, allowing them to escape unhurt.
Musu, among other things disclosed that one of the passengers sustained injury in the incident while trying to use the window to escape the incident.