Fire Hits Gurley Street Community

By Jefferson D. Tweh

The ‘French Town Community’ on Gurley Street, South Beach was yesterday a scene of a ravenous fire outbreak which gutted three houses.

The early morning fire hazard rendered several persons homeless with countless of properties not salvaged.

One of the fire victims, Mr. Abraham Kpan, disclosed that the fire started from the room of another occupant, identified as George Weah, a street vendor. Mr. Kpan said George Weah usually prepared his food late in the evening without extinguishing the fire so on that fateful day the fire from Mr. Weah’s coal pot fell on a combustible material which went in flames and spread to the two nearby houses that were razed to their foundations.went in flames and spread to the two nearby houses that were razed to their foundations.

A lady identified as Bendu Collins, an occupant of one of the burnt houses, and a treasurer of a yearly savings club in her community disclosed that her LD9, 000 perished in the fire disaster.     Another female, a disabled middle-aged woman only identified as Ma Kebeh said she lost LD4, 000 in the fire. Kebeh said her husband is dead and has no other means of survival being a physically challenged person who has no one to assist her.

Residents in the area said that the three houses that were burnt on Gurley Street were all built of corrugated zinc houses which when gutted by fire cannot be contained easily. They said the late arrival of firefighters at the scene and their inability to quench the fire was just another contributing factor to the fire incident.

Comments

comments

coming soon