Fire Guts 18-Bedroom On 5th Street

Fire Guts 18-Bedroom On 5th Street

By Edwin G. Wandah

Several residents in the 5th Street Community, District #8 were yesterday made homeless after fire gutted their 18-bed room homes thereby rendering them homeless and destroying almost of their belongings.

According to some sources, Sunday’s incident made it two in four days, fire disasters in District 8. The first one occurred in the Perry Street Community on Christmas Day where four houses were burnt as a result of fire outbreak and on 5th Street in Sinkor, adding to the number.

According to a handful of by-standers, mainly youths and elderly people, the fire started from the rear of the eighteen bedroom house and engulfed the entire house, leaving it in partial rubble.

“We are totally finished; everything we owned is gone; they were wiped away in seconds; now how can we get back on our feet to make life again?” one of the victims wondered.

Shortly after the INQUIRER arrived at the scene, several residents were seen at least collecting few burnt belongings that their hands could lay on.

“Anything my hands can touch, I will take; I have lost everything that I worked for in life for the past five years. I need help from anyone, business people, government workers and even the President of the Republic of Liberia,” another victim stated.

According to them, before noticing the fire outbreak, almost all of their belongings had been destroyed in the fire. When District 8 Representative Acarious M. Gray arrived on the scene after being informed about the fire incident, he promised to assist the victims with some money before engaging the disaster management team and other relevant stakeholders for assistance.

With tears streaming down the cheeks of almost all of the victims, Representative Acarious M. Gray comforted them to remain calm as his office would do all it could to meet their urgent needs.